The Student Mapping Study
First of all, thank you for your interest in participating in our study. The goal of this study is to gain insight into the mechanisms of psychopathology. At several moments during the day, you will report about your day to day-life, for example how you feel or what you do at these moments. We collect this type of data from Maastricht University students for a period of two weeks. This will help us to understand how the different measured variables are related within a person and may change over time.
You can participate if …
- you are a student of Maastricht University.
- you are at least 18 years old.
- you have a smartphone (Android or Apple (at least version 13 of iOS)) that you use daily.
- you have a sufficient understanding of English.
- Contribute to science, to the project New Science of Mental Disorders.
- Gain a detailed insight in your daily life.
- Earn up to €40 (gift voucher).
What does participation entail?
In this study, you will answer brief surveys about your daily life six times per day with your smartphone for a period of two weeks. It will take approximately 3-5 minutes to answer each survey, and it is important that you try to complete as many surveys as possible. You can complete the study remotely; you do not need to come to the university. You will receive all instruction materials digitally.
Steps of participation
- If you agree to take part in the study, you will first be instructed to download the Ethica app on your phone, which is the app that is used to administer the surveys.
- After you have downloaded Ethica, you will be asked to fill out an online screening questionnaire via the Ethica app.
- The next day, you will be asked to fill out a baseline questionnaire via the Ethica app. The baseline questionnaire needs to be completed before monitoring phase otherwise participation is not possible.
- Three days after you have signed up, the actual study starts. For a period of 2 weeks, you will receive prompts to answer brief surveys 6 times a day.
Contact us at email@example.com
Do you want to participate?
Scan the QR code with your phone!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What happens if I do not fill in the baseline assessment?
If you do not fill in the baseline assessment, participation in the monitoring phase is not possible.
What happens if I do not fill out a survey?
We are aware that it is not always possible to fill out every survey. However, it is very important for the success of this study that you try to fill out as many surveys as possible. Also, note that the money compensation that you will receive at the end of the study will depend on the number of surveys filled out during the day.
Do I need to fill out the survey at the moment on which I receive the prompt?
You have 20 minutes to complete the survey after you received the prompt.
I do not want to take part to the study anymore, what should I do?
If you would like to stop participating, you are of course free to do so, and you can notify us via e-mail about your decision.
How will the amount of money be calculated that I will receive at the end of the study?
The compensation for participating in this study is up to €40 (gift voucher). The amount of money depends on how many surveys you will fill out during the 2-week period.
Is there any reason why I could not participate in this study?
If you are using an iPhone and your software is not upgraded to iOS 13 or more, you cannot participate.
How do I use the voucher?
Once you completed the study, you will receive an e-mail containing all information about your voucher, which is a Bol code that you can use online.